Quarantine: A New Strain of Turn-Based Strategy
We’re in the midst of a renaissance for strategy games—whether it’s on PC, or in the board game scene. Almost every month, groundbreaking new titles come out with fascinating themes and innovative mechanics that set the bar ever-higher. There’s simply never been a better time to be a strategy gamer, and that’s why we’re excited to announce Quarantine for Steam Early Access.
As lifelong fans of the genre, the team at 505 Games wanted to contribute to this incredible space. Our goal is to explore further in the “disease” subgenre. We wondered if there was room for a digital game—designed from the ground-up for PC—where you fight against global epidemics. While the idea was interesting, we knew we’d need a strong partner to bring such a project to fruition.
I’d first come across Sproing years ago, playing their Nintendo DS version of one of my favorite childhood board games, Scotland Yard. Not only had they managed to a develop a fiendishly difficult AI, but they’d gone so far as to design several excellent “custom maps” with the board game maker’s blessing. As time went on, they only continued to impress the strategy community with titles like Panzer Tactics. It seemed like a natural fit to approach Sproing about the concept. In talking with them, I was thrilled to discover that we shared not only a passion for the subject matter, but a vision for the types of mechanics that such a game would need—recruiting a team, containing outbreaks, collecting samples, researching the disease, upgrading your tech, and so on.
505 Games and Sproing are well over a year into our partnership on Quarantine, and we have a strong gameplay foundation that reflects this shared vision. But we know that for any strategy game to succeed, we’ll need an extensive amount of playtesting, with lots of iteration, and the expertise that only the Steam community can bring to bear—so we’ve decided to launch in Early Access. You can watch the trailer for Quarantine now:
As a company, 505 Games has been deeply humbled by the support and creativity of the players who’ve joined us on current or past Early Access campaigns such as for Portal Knights and How to Survive 2. The community’s guidance and criticism has absolutely shaped those games for the better. We hope we can replicate even a fraction of that goodwill with Quarantine. We don’t exactly now how long Early Access will last—but we’re committed to building on this foundation for many months to come. Game development is always full of twists and turns, and we hope you’ll join us for the exciting journey ahead.
Quarantine (http://store.steampowered.com/app/489370/) will be available on Steam Early Access (PC) starting February 9, 2017.
QUARANTINE KEY FEATURES:
- Immersive Graphics & Authentic Setting – Inspired by real-world science and epidemic response, experience the tough choices and nail-biting suspense in this modern fight for humanity.
- Battle against 3 lethal pathogens – virus, bacteria, and prion— each with unique behaviors and devastating effects
- Recruit your team – Choose from dozens of operatives in four specializations— Medic, Scientist, Diplomat, and Security. Deploy them on missions as critical situations unfold around the globe. Level them up—and keep them alive—in the face of escalating danger.
- Expand your reach. Set up field bases and raise crucial funding. Don’t let cities fall into chaos: the livelihood of your organization —and the world— depends on it.
- Devious disease AI – Contain your enemy before it infects new sites and spawns catastrophic events. Race against the clock before the contagion mutates and evolves past your defenses.
- Advance your tech. Unlock upgrades and new operations on the diverse tech tree to adapt your strategy and refine your play style.
- Hit the lab. Collect biological samples from hotspots to research the disease’s randomly generated traits. Use the results to turn the tide and find the cure.
- Hours of Replayability – Increase your resistance with easy challenges so you can endure Nature’s worst. Three difficulty modes, four leaders, a variety of starting locations, and unpredictable gameplay ensure that no two games are the same.
Quarantine is rated T for Teen and is priced at $14.99 on STEAM Early Access. Players who catch Quarantine fever the first week, you will receive a 10% discount off the $14.99 price tag. Preorder now!